ABOUT US | HR&A Advisors, Inc. (HR&A) is an employee-owned company advising public, private, non-profit, and philanthropic clients on how to increase opportunity and advance quality of life in cities.
We believe in creating vital places, building more equitable and resilient communities, and improving people’s lives.
From Brooklyn to Los Angeles, we have guided hundreds of clients in transforming real estate and economic development concepts, and public infrastructure, first into actionable plans then into job-producing, community-strengthening assets.
Our clients include real estate owners and investors, hospitals and universities, cultural institutions and philanthropies, community development organizations and governments.
HR&A has offices in Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Raleigh, and Washington D.C. We come from diverse backgrounds, have a breadth of lived experience, and share a passion for cities. We are former city officials, executive directors, planners, lawyers, architects, and economists.
Hear more about the HR&A experience from our employees.
Learn more about careers at HR&A on our website.
THE OPPORTUNITY | HR&A is rapidly growing its capacity to deploy digital products to improve efficiency in our work and increase our offerings to clients. Over the past two years, HR&A has launched more than five public-facing digital products for state, county, and non-profit clients to support public policy goals and increase access to information about critical issues facing our cities, including housing affordability and access to broadband and digital equity programs. We are now seeking to scale some products for which we have found product-market fit, while also developing new products in response to client needs.
THE ROLE | HR&A is seeking a Product Manager to support the rapid growth of our digital services offerings, primarily within our Broadband & Digital Equity and Housing Affordability practices. The person in this role will be based in our New York City office. This Product Manager should have 8 – 12 years of professional experience and will lead efforts to work directly with clients and across our practice area teams to execute on the development and delivery of innovative digital products. They will establish detailed plans for executing on contracts, coordinate efforts across teams to develop high quality and scalable digital products and work closely with Partners and Project Managers to represent both client and user needs in the development of new data and platform products. They may manage a single product for which we have found product-market fit and are seeking to scale or may help find product-market fit for multiple experimental products.
The Product Manager will be primarily responsible for:
- Developing comprehensive technical workplans to deploy existing products or develop new products to meet client contracts.
- Coordinating various managerial and technical personnel, including contractors, during all project phases, from initial development through product implementation.
- Managing efforts across project teams and the broader HR&A Digital Products team to identify opportunities for product development or improvement.
- Communicating project status updates across project teams.
- Liasing and coordinating with project teams who are gathering user input and feedback and leading a prioritization process to incorporate this input in the products.
- Review and assure quality of technical work for staff working on projects.
EXPERIENCE – SKILLS – ABILITIES | Candidates should be prepared to demonstrate experience, skills, or abilities in the following areas.
- Experience with agile software development practices, including managing scrums and planning sprints.
- Experience managing fast-paced, collaborative teams and projects, including scoping, structuring, creating, and reviewing deliverables.
- Previous experience working in a technical consulting role or working directly with external stakeholders — comfortable communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Familiarity with strategic planning processes for product development, project management tools, and data-driven analytical approaches.
- Proficiency with cleaning, manipulating, and merging public, proprietary, and internal data sets for analysis.
- Proficiency with GIS required.
- Experience with census data, PUMS data, and other economic data required.
- Proficiency with Python preferred; with experience in using publicly available APIs to build web-based dashboards and tools.
- Experience developing clear and captivating data visualizations for a variety of audiences.
- Experience conducting geospatial, vicinity/buffer, site suitability, socio-economic, and demographic analysis using Geopandas preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capacity for leadership, critical thinking, and creativity.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS | Eight to twelve years of relevant professional experience, including previous experience as a Product Manager. Experience in professional services is a plus. A bachelor’s degree with a focus on data science/analytics, geographic information science/analytics, urban planning/design/data, regional science/analytics, architecture, economics, business, public policy, real estate, or other related field is required. A master’s degree is preferred.
HYBRID WORK POLICY | HR&A fosters a collaborative and flexible work environment through our hybrid work policy. Employees work from the office at least two days a week, which allows individuals the freedom to balance their professional and personal lives while maintaining a strong connection to their teams.
COMPENSATION | The annual base salary range for this position is between $129,000 and $146,600. This role is also eligible for a discretionary year-end bonus. Where an offer falls inside this pay range is dependent on experience. We offer competitive compensation packages, based on qualifications and experience. We are an employee-owned company, meaning you will have the opportunity to benefit from the firm’s growth over time through participation in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan. Each year. The firm will contribute funds to this long-term wealth-building account and may make contributions to other retirement accounts. We also provide a comprehensive benefits package that goes well beyond coverage of 90-95% of healthcare premiums, including dental and vision coverage.
HOW TO APPLY | HR&A is committed to attracting and retaining a talented, diverse, and high performing team of professionals dedicated to solving the challenges of urban life. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, click here. Please submit your cover letter and your resume as a single PDF document. Applications without this requested cover letter will not be reviewed.
As part of our ongoing work to build a hiring system that mitigates bias and is based on candidate merit and performance, we ask that you submit a version of your resume and essay that has your school information removed. Please list your degree, e.g., B.A. Economics; however, remove all references to undergraduate and graduate schools you have attended.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status, or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.