Analyst, Data Science & Analytics
ABOUT US | HR&A Advisors, Inc. (HR&A) is an employee-owned company advising public, private, non-profit, and philanthropic clients on how to increase opportunity and advance quality of life in cities.
We believe in creating vital places, building more equitable and resilient communities, and improving people’s lives.
From Brooklyn to Los Angeles, we have guided hundreds of clients in transforming real estate and economic development concepts, and public infrastructure, first into actionable plans then into job-producing, community-strengthening assets.
Our clients include real estate owners and investors, hospitals and universities, cultural institutions and philanthropies, community development organizations and governments.
HR&A has offices in Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Raleigh, and Washington D.C. We come from diverse backgrounds, have a breadth of lived experience, and share a passion for cities. We are former city officials, executive directors, planners, lawyers, architects, and economists.
Hear more about the HR&A experience from our employees.
Learn more about careers at HR&A on our website.
THE OPPORTUNITY | HR&A is rapidly growing its capacity to deploy digital products to improve efficiency in our work and increase our offerings to clients. Over the past two years, HR&A has launched over five public-facing digital products for state, county, and non-profit clients to support housing and broadband access policy across the country.
This position will primarily support the development and deployment of digital products for HR&A’s Housing Affordability and Broadband & Digital Equity practices in the near term, with the potential to support other practice areas going forward.
THE ROLE | HR&A is seeking an Analyst, Data Science and Analytics to support the rapid growth of our digital services offerings, primarily within our Housing Affordability and Broadband & Digital Equity practices. The person in this role can be based in our New York City or Washington, DC, office. Analysts are individuals with 2 – 5 years of professional experience who own the substance of our client work products. As an Analyst focused on Data Science and Analytics, you will have the opportunity to have high impact across numerous projects and build the capacities of our clients nationally, as well as to continually build your skills in complex data analytics, visualization, and web development.
The Analyst, Data Science and Analytics will be primarily responsible for:
- Conducting complex data and geospatial analysis to integrate and improve local, government, and proprietary datasets;
- Measuring and analyzing data and key economic and social indicators;
- Procuring, managing, developing, and analyzing large datasets;
- Developing compelling interactive data visualizations;
- Supporting project teams in the development of custom, web-based analytics dashboards;
- Developing new data systems and tools to improve our consulting work; and,
- Developing and managing new, self-directed projects that advance our mission and our clients’ goals.
EXPERIENCE – SKILLS – ABILITIES | Candidates should be prepared to demonstrate experience, skills, or abilities in the following areas.
- Proficiency with GIS required;
- Experience developing clear and captivating data visualizations for a variety of audiences;
- Proficiency with cleaning, manipulating, and merging public, proprietary, and internal data sets for analysis;
- Proficiency with Python preferred; with experience in using publicly available APIs to build web-based dashboards and tools.
- Experience with census data, PUMS data, and other economic data required;
- Experience conducting geospatial, vicinity/buffer, site suitability, socio-economic, and demographic analysis using Geopandas preferred;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Capacity for leadership, critical thinking, and creativity;
- Experience working on fast-paced, collaborative teams and projects, including scoping, structuring, creating, and reviewing deliverables;
- Ability to work across assignments, including managing multiple project workstreams and deadlines; and,
- Familiarity with strategic planning processes, project management tools, and data-driven analytical approaches.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS | Two to five years of relevant professional experience. A bachelor’s degree with a focus on data science/analytics, geographic information science/analytics, urban planning/design/data, regional science/analytics, architecture, economics, business, public policy, real estate, or other related field is required. A master’s degree is preferred.
HYBRID WORK POLICY | HR&A fosters a collaborative and flexible work environment through our hybrid work policy. Employees work from the office at least two days a week, which allows individuals the freedom to balance their professional and personal lives while maintaining a strong connection to their teams.
COMPENSATION | The annual base salary range for this position is between $81,600 and $93,800. This role is also eligible for a discretionary year-end bonus. Where an offer falls inside this pay range is dependent on experience. We offer competitive compensation packages, based on qualifications and experience. We are an employee-owned company, meaning you will have the opportunity to benefit from the firm’s growth over time through participation in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan. Each year. The firm will contribute funds to this long-term wealth-building account and may make contributions to other retirement accounts. We also provide a comprehensive benefits package that goes well beyond coverage of 90-95% of healthcare premiums, including dental and vision coverage.
HOW TO APPLY | HR&A is committed to attracting and retaining a talented, diverse, and high performing team of professionals dedicated to solving the challenges of urban life. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, click here. Please submit your cover letter and your resume as a single PDF document. Applications without this requested cover letter will not be reviewed.
As part of our ongoing work to build a hiring system that mitigates bias and is based on candidate merit and performance, we ask that you submit a version of your resume and cover letter that has your school information removed. Please list your degree, e.g., B.A. Economics; however, remove all references to undergraduate and graduate schools you have attended.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status, or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.