Public-Private Development Strategies
HR&A structures public-private development partnerships that strengthen community assets and facilitate economic growth.
HR&A’s consultants include former government officials, developers, private sector real estate developers and managers, economists, planners and lawyers. We work with property owners and developers to create value from government assets, and we help public officials maximize benefits from the expertise and capacity of the private sector through public private development. We approach assignments from diverse perspectives, enabling critical analyses that result in projects that meet our clients’ economic and policy objectives.
HR&A’s approach to public-private development begins with two critical analyses:
- Stated and implied public policy priorities for a project; and
- Project economics and return expectations.
HR&A forges partnerships that fulfill the requirements of the private sector and meet the goals of the public sector.
Implementation of complex real estate development proposals cannot happen without support from both the public and private sectors. HR&A plays a variety of roles in structuring and supporting development partnerships. We:
- Analyze market potential to develop programs that trigger strong private sector responses;
- Provide solutions to regulatory challenges;
- Manage pre-development and master planning for proposed redevelopments;
- Develop asset repositioning and acquisition/disposition strategies;
- Analyze financial feasibility and phasing strategies for a mix of uses (residential, commercial, office, hotel, cultural, and industrial);
- Structure innovative public-private development scenarios and financing deals to implement projects; and
- Represent private, public and institutional real estate owners during developer solicitation, selection, and negotiation.
HR&A supports the implementation of complex development projects, including associated public approvals.
Complex development projects require strategic positioning and focused messaging to secure public land use approvals. HR&A has a successful track record spearheading large scale master plans and mixed-use projects through the public review process, often in tandem with our other services including project management, economic impact and financial feasibility analyses, and master plan support. HR&A has experience managing:
- Public approvals;
- Environmental permitting; and
- Historic preservation and landmarks review.
- Anacostia Waterfront Framework Initiative
- Daniel Island
- Downtown Cincinnati Revitalization
- Fulton Center Implementation Strategy
- Menil Collection Neighborhood Preservation And Development
- New Jersey Performing Arts Center
- Redevelopment Planning For Denver Broadway Station Site
- Strategic Plan To Reposition The Brooklyn Tech Triangle
- Transaction Structure & Negotiations For The Newseum
- Water Street POPs Upgrading Study
- American Society of Landscape Architects, Award of Excellence in Analysis and Planning, Penn’s Landing Redevelopment Feasibility Study, Philadelphia, PA, 2015.
- American Road & Transportation Builders Association, Globe Award, First Place in Public Transit, New York Rising Community Construction Program, NY, 2014
- American Planning Association New York, Meritorious Achievement Award, Brooklyn Tech Triangle Strategic Plan, Brooklyn, NY, 2013
- American Institute of Architects Honor Award for Regional and Urban Design, Master Plan for the Central Delaware Riverfront, Philadelphia, PA, 2012
- Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence, Silver Medal, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn, NY, 2011
- International Economic Development Council Neighbourhood Development Prize, High Line Park Transformation, New York, NY, 2010
- American Society of Landscape Architects Honor Award, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn, NY, 2009
- International Economic Development Council Partnership Award, Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation Creation, Cincinnati, OH, 2009
- Urban Land Institute Award for Excellence, Daniel Island Redevelopment, Charleston, SC, 2007
- American Institute of Architects Honor Award for Regional and Urban Design, Anacostia Waterfront Initiative Framework Plan, Washington D.C., 2005
- Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence, Silver Medal, New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Newark, NJ, 2001