Senior Analyst, Inclusive Cities
ABOUT US | HR&A Advisors, Inc. (HR&A) is an employee-owned company advising public, private, non-profit, and philanthropic clients on how to increase opportunity and advance quality of life in cities.
We believe in creating vital places, building more equitable and resilient communities, and improving people’s lives. We support the creation of new development, transit-oriented-development, and economic development strategies. HR&A also helps clients think about who will benefit from development from the very beginning, and show them how to make more equitable projects, neighborhoods, and cities.
From Brooklyn to Los Angeles, we have guided hundreds of clients in transforming real estate and economic development concepts, and public infrastructure, first into actionable plans then into job-producing, community-strengthening assets.
Our clients include governments, community development organizations, real estate owners and investors, hospitals and universities, cultural institutions and philanthropies.
HR&A has offices in Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York, Washington D.C., Raleigh, and Dallas. We come from diverse backgrounds, have a breadth of lived experience, and share a passion for cities. We are former city officials, executive directors, planners, lawyers, architects, and economists.
Hear more about the HR&A experience from our Staff.
Learn more about careers at HR&A on our website.
THE OPPORTUNITY | We are seeking a Senior Analyst candidate to join our New York office as part of our Inclusive Cities practice.
HR&A’s Inclusive Cities practice leverages our deep understanding of government, knowledge of local and private economic forces, and analytical rigor to promote social and economic justice.
We center racial equity and economic justice in economic development, policy, and planning. We help our clients to identify who will benefit from economic development initiatives and show them how to design and execute more equitable projects, neighborhoods, and cities. We engage communities and grassroots organizations in meaningful, non-extractive ways, and through that process, we build new trust and durable partnerships. We launch new programs and community-driven projects to increase awareness and participation in our civic discourse, which is essential to shifting traditional economic development paradigms. We embolden visionary public servants with the tools they need to embed equity into their policy and practice. We serve as a bridge between ideas and implementation in truly changing systems, from workforce development to criminal legal system reform, so that lives are changed for the better.
To learn more about the Inclusive Cities practice and recent/current projects, visit https://www.hraadvisors.com/inclusive-cities/.
The Senior Analyst role is a mid-level opportunity for professionals with 4-6 years of professional experience. The Senior Analyst, alongside all analytical staff, forms the foundation of our team-oriented and collaborative structure and helps to drive our rigorous approach to our work. Day-to-day tasks range from project to project and often include:
- Conducting policy research and analysis to help craft and support recommendations on behalf of our clients
- Designing, conducting, and summarizing stakeholder interviews in support of our client’s objectives
- Facilitating client and stakeholder meetings with clarity and inclusion
- Helping execute community engagement projects in ways that are consistent with our values and approach
- Managing stakeholder groups and commissions, in support of our projects
- Deputy project managing and engaging with clients and, on certain projects, directing Research Analysts and Analysts on project-based task assignments and providing training support to them
- Preparation of concise recommendation memos in areas from equitable economic development
- Research in support of our equity in budgeting practice, which requires learning and then understanding how to read City and County budgets
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on emerging practice areas and analytical methods, including climate, health and public safety
As individual project portfolios change, the Senior Analyst position provides significant opportunities for growth and diversity within the role.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED | We are looking for candidates with strong quantitative and qualitative skills, a passion for urban development and policy, and a deep curiosity about the challenges and opportunities facing cities today. Our new team members will learn quickly, possess excellent written and verbal communication skills; be hyper-organized; operate like data analysts; and be able to manage multiple assignments at once. They will think independently, act entrepreneurially, and pay attention to the details. Ideal candidates will bring a demonstrated capacity for leadership, experience or interest in real estate transactions and planning, critical thinking, and creativity.
Senior Analyst candidates should have a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred, 4-6 years professional experience.
ABOUT YOU | We are seeking an emerging leader who will bring:
- Experience conducting rigorous policy analysis, data analysis, operational planning, implementation management, and meaningful community engagement in service of systems change and impact
- Awareness of and urgency to learn more about how government functions to enrich our project implementation
- Proven leadership abilities, including an approach that is innovative, collaborative, and decisive
- Strong interpersonal skills that reflect honesty, integrity, respect, inspiration, and teamwork
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to write clearly, concisely, and compellingly, and to inspire confidence and passion with both internal and external audiences
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills that can engage multiple types of audiences
- Experience with complex stakeholder and project management
- Patience, a sense of humor, humility, and willingness to be a champion and inspire HR&A staff and Inclusive Cities practice as an intellectual and professional home within the firm
COMPENSATION | The annual salary range for this position is $101,000 to $114,500 plus the opportunity for a year-end bonus. Where an offer falls inside the pay range is dependent on experience. We offer competitive compensation packages, based on qualifications and experience. We are an employee-owned company, meaning you will have the opportunity to benefit from the firm’s growth over time through participation in our Employee Stock Options Plan. Each year, the firm will contribute funds to this long-term wealth-building account and may make contributions to other retirement accounts. We also provide a comprehensive benefits package that goes well beyond coverage of 90-95% of healthcare premiums, dental and vision coverage.
HOW TO APPLY | HR&A is committed to attracting and retaining a talented, diverse, competitive team of professionals dedicated to solving the challenges of urban life. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document at https://hraadvisors.applytojob.com/apply/. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications without a cover lever will not be reviewed.
We ask that you submit a version of your resume that has your school information removed. There is no need to reformat your resume, and you should leave your degree (e.g. “B.A. Economics”). But please remove all undergraduate and graduate school name references. This request is part of our ongoing work to build a hiring system that is free from bias and based on candidate merit and performance in the hiring process.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.