Senior Manager of Finance and Accounting
ABOUT US | HR&A Advisors, Inc. (HR&A) is an employee-owned company advising public, private, non-profit, and philanthropic clients on how to increase opportunity and advance quality of life in cities.
We believe in creating vital places, building more equitable and resilient communities, and improving people’s lives.
From Brooklyn to Los Angeles, we have guided hundreds of clients in transforming real estate and economic development concepts, and public infrastructure, first into actionable plans then into job-producing, community-strengthening assets.
Our clients include real estate owners and investors, hospitals and universities, cultural institutions and philanthropies, community development organizations and governments.
HR&A has offices in Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Raleigh, and Dallas.
We come from diverse backgrounds, have a breadth of lived experience, and share a passion for cities. We are former city officials, executive directors, planners, lawyers, architects, and economists.
Hear more about the HR&A experience from our Staff.
Learn more about careers at HR&A on our website.
THE OPPORTUNITY | This role presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced and skilled candidate to showcase their expertise and make a significant impact. As the Senior Manager of Finance and Accounting, you will have ownership of key finance and accounting processes and be responsible for ensuring accurate timely accounting reporting. You will lead a team, mentor staff, and guide them toward professional development, fostering a culture of continuous learning and excellence. Additionally, you will have the chance to implement process improvements, drive efficiency, and contribute to the overall growth and success of the company.
The volume of work is growing and includes processing $60 million in top-line revenue and client invoices across 500+ active annual projects for the Accounts Receivable team, processing $38 million in operating expenses and vendor bills for the Accounts Payable team and managing payroll transactions of approximately $24 million per year. The AP team handles around 800-1,000-line items per month related to corporate credit and banking transactions, as well as regular Accounts Payable (AP) and Business Operation Expenses.
RESPONSIBILITIES | The Senior Manager of Finance and Accounting is a mid-level role for someone with 6 – 8 years of professional experience who will own the core accounting and financial compliance workflows and management of the accounting team. Under the leadership and direction of the Chief Operating Officer, collaborates in driving internal stakeholders to align with financial objectives of the firm.
Day-to-day tasks range from project to project and include:
- Overseeing all aspects of finance and accounting, ensuring accuracy, compliance, and timely reporting.
- Management of the accounting team to ensure quality of work and performance, and drive results aligned with Management’s business financial strategy and needs.
- Fostering a culture of mentorship and guidance within the team by providing support, training, and knowledge sharing across the Accounting and Finance function.
- Ensuring that the Accounts Receivable (AR) team processes invoices and ensures timely collections.
- Supervising the Accounts Payable (AP) payment processes and ensuring that the AP team accurately codes transactions.
- Overseeing cash expenditure aligned with firm goals and cost management principles.
- Maintaining the general ledger through reclassifications, reconciliations, and adjustments.
- Managing the general ledger, including preparation and posting of journal entries for accurate reporting.
- Coordinating and performing fiscal month, quarter, and year-end closing activities.
- Completing reconciliations for bank accounts and recording necessary adjustments.
- Updating monthly invoice tracker, Open AR list, Backlog values, and dashboards.
- Manage the operating budget, including monitoring, tracking and evaluating the development of the firm’s operating expenses against approved budgets and provide strategic recommendations and analytical insights to prevent drastic variances of forecasted results.
- Special projects related to business financial management as needed, e.g., annual budget preparation, financial systems data integration, etc.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED | Successful candidates will bring strong analytical, project management, and relationship management capabilities aligned with the role and responsibilities described above, including:
- Proficiency in Sage Intact, Concur, and Salesforce.
- Advanced Excel proficiency with strong data analysis skills and methodologies.
- Expert knowledge of technical accounting terminology and practices.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate a team.
- Detail-oriented with a high level of accuracy.
- Strong problem-solving critical thinking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Service-oriented attitude with a focus on delivering quality work.
- Background in professional services, such as architecture, engineering, or consulting (preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field (CPA beneficial)
COMPENSATION | The annual salary range for this position is $120,000 to $140,000 plus the opportunity for a year-end bonus. Where an offer falls inside the pay range is dependent on experience. We offer competitive compensation packages, based on qualifications and experience. We are an employee-owned company, meaning you will have the opportunity to benefit from the firm’s growth over time through participation in our Employee Stock Options Plan. Each year, the firm will contribute funds to this long-term wealth-building account and may make contributions to other retirement accounts. We also provide a comprehensive benefits package that goes well beyond coverage of 90-95% of healthcare premiums, dental and vision coverage.
HOW TO APPLY | HR&A is committed to attracting and retaining a talented, diverse, competitive team of professionals dedicated to solving the challenges of urban life. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document at https://hraadvisors.applytojob.com/apply/. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications without a cover lever will not be reviewed.
We ask that you submit a version of your resume that has your school information removed. There is no need to reformat your resume, and you should leave your degree (e.g. “B.A. Economics”). But please remove all undergraduate and graduate school name references. This request is part of our ongoing work to build a hiring system that is free from bias and based on candidate merit and performance in the hiring process.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status, or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.