HR&A helps clients leverage economic and real estate development potential from transit infrastructure and transportation improvements.
Our transit-oriented development (TOD) work is informed by our specific expertise in market analysis, development implementation, public-private partnerships, and our track record of successful implementation. HR&A’s staff experience combines transit agency management with public and private real estate knowledge, which makes us uniquely well-positioned for planning and implementation for new development around transit facilities. We have created plans and implementation strategies for projects surrounding individual station areas, corridor-based development frameworks, and regional policies and long-range plans for TOD and infrastructure finance like value capture.
Our diverse involvement in Transit-Oriented Development projects includes advisory services to private developers, municipalities, and transit agencies.
We understand the specific financial and operational drivers for transit agencies seeking increased ridership and non-farebox revenues, private developers seeking to leverage additional value from transit, and public planning and development agencies seeking to promote smart growth and revitalization. We:
- Create development frameworks for station areas that account for the operational needs of transit agencies and opportunities to create value and catalyze real estate development;
- Quantify and recommend gap financing measures for transit infrastructure through value capture mechanisms including joint development, tax-increment financing, special assessments, and negotiated exactions;
- Research real estate markets and demographics to identify opportunities for development surrounding transit-hubs for private developers and public sector entities;
- Analyze the economic impacts of transit investments, transit-oriented development, and congestion mitigation strategies on local and regional economic competitiveness; and
- Engage the private sector in municipal and agency TOD efforts, including preparation and evaluation of developer solicitation documents.
- Anacostia Waterfront Framework Initiative
- Fulton Center Implementation & Retail Strategy
- LAX Economic Impact Study
- New York Rising Community Reconstruction Program
- PlaNYC & OneNYC
- Rebuild By Design Competition
- Redevelopment Planning for Denver Broadway Station Site
- Union Depot Redevelopment and Activation
- American Road & Transportation Builders Association, Globe Award, First Place in Public Transit, New York Rising Community Construction Program, NY, 2014
- American Public Works Association, National Project of the Year: Historical Restoration or Preservation, Union Depot, St. Paul, MN, 2013
- Metropolitan Economic Development Association, Project of the Year, Union Depot, St. Paul, MN, 2012
- American Institute of Architects Honor Award for Regional and Urban Design, Anacostia Waterfront Initiative Framework Plan, Washington D.C., 2005