Special Assistant to the Executive Office
ABOUT US | HR&A advises public, private, non-profit, and civic clients on how to increase opportunity and improve quality of life in cities. We believe in creating vital places, building more equitable and resilient communities, and improving people’s lives. HR&A helps clients turn vision into action by analyzing, strategizing, and implementing solutions to solve some of the most complex challenges facing cities today, such as climate change, affordable housing, broadband access, and workforce development.
HR&A has offices in Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Raleigh, and Washington DC. We are former city officials, non-profit executives, developers, planners, lawyers, architects, and economists from a variety of backgrounds, nationalities, and life experiences.
You can learn more about our work here.
ABOUT YOU | You have a passion for cities and improving people’s lives and a deep curiosity about the challenges and opportunities facing communities today. You have a demonstrated capacity for project management, critical thinking, and creativity. You bring a consistent track record of delivering results and executing with excellence. You are excited to dive into projects and drive initiatives that help the leadership team achieve the firm’s mission. You possess impeccable communications skills, outstanding people and stakeholder management skills, and rigorous execution abilities. You have a can-do, get-things-done mentality and an entrepreneurial spirit. While you apply excellent analytical skills, you have a strong bias towards action. You thrive in a dynamic environment working at a fast pace with diverse team members across multiple areas. You are results-driven, quick-thinking, and quick-acting. You have a high E.Q. and a strong sense of fun and humor.
THE ROLE | HR&A seeks a full-time Special Assistant who reports directly to the Chief of Staff and supports the Office of the CEO and President.
To advance internal, firm-wide strategic initiatives, you will provide project management, project support, and administrative support, working closely with the full executive management team, the larger senior leadership team, and various project teams. Over time, this role will play a key strategic role in helping HR&A to scale up as the firm continues to grow and increase its impact.
In this critical role, you will ensure that day-to-day coordination and administration of the priorities of the Office of the CEO & President run smoothly, especially when facilitating collaboration between multiple teams and initiatives. You will manage meetings and workflows, act as the point of contact, and ensure that all documentation and information is available to all parties. Acting as a force multiplier for the Chief of Staff, you will help the Executive Management Team prioritize, make sound and efficient decisions, and communicate on a wide range of strategic issues. As part of this role, you will provide calendar management regularly and administrative support as needed.
While the role will evolve along with the firm, its changing priorities, and fast growth, we are looking for someone to stay in-role for at least 2-3 years. The culture of HR&A and the high-level exposure to leadership will provide continuous, productive intellectual challenges and career-building opportunities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage and implement strategic projects, initiatives, and processes on behalf of the CEO, President, and Chief of Staff
- Collaborate with and coordinate key stakeholders, including the CEO, President, Chief of Staff, rest of the Executive Management Team, Growth Team, People Team, Operations, and Finance Team, the firm’s Administrative Team, Partners, Senior Advisors, Board Members, and others
- Conduct analysis and create presentations, reports, and communications for diverse audiences
- Develop and draft internal and external correspondence on behalf of the Chief of Staff
- Proactive management and coordination of the CEO and Chief of Staff’s calendars to strategically align time with key priorities, milestones, deadlines, and decisions – this includes scheduling meetings, preparing and updating weekly schedules, forecasting scheduling conflicts and working quickly to resolve them, and responding to last-minute meeting requests
- Provide administrative support to the CEO and Chief of Staff, including expense reporting and systems or technology support as needed
- Coordinating and driving strategic projects, whether at an early stage or mid-stream
- Exceptional writing, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong presentation design (e.g., PowerPoint) and facilitation skills
- Strong grasp of planning, organizing, and managing both meetings and workflows
- Excellent sense of judgment along with a flexible attitude and the ability to think creatively
- Ability to consistently process documentation and note-taking skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with stakeholders in functions across the firm
- Ability to work on tight deadlines in a fast-paced and changing professional environment with a proactive, entrepreneurial approach
- Ability to consistently follow through on tasks and projects, perform quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC), and advance work on behalf of senior leaders
- Ability to handle confidential information and sensitive matters with utmost discretion and integrity
- Advanced understanding and use of Microsoft Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and SharePoint)
- Experience in managing complex calendar schedules on behalf of executives, forecasting and prioritizing needs, or the ability to learn the skills and tasks quickly
- (Nice to have) Analytical skills and the ability to apply data-driven critical thinking to create solutions
- (Nice to have) Experience supporting C-level executives or senior management in a similar role
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a related position, ideally driving strategic initiatives and executing project management
- Professional services firm/consulting experience preferred
COMPENSATION | The base salary range for this position is $75,000 – $95,000. We offer competitive compensation packages based on qualifications and experience. We are an employee-owned company, meaning you will have the opportunity to benefit from the firm’s growth over time through participation in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan. Each year, the firm will contribute funds to this long-term wealth-building account and may make contributions to other retirement accounts. We also provide a comprehensive benefits package that goes well beyond coverage of 90-95% of healthcare premiums, dental and vision coverage.
HOW TO APPLY | HR&A is committed to attracting and retaining a talented, diverse, competitive team of professionals dedicated to solving the challenges of urban life. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document (maximum of 2 pages) at https://hraadvisors.applytojob.com/apply/. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications without a cover lever will not be reviewed.
We ask that you submit a version of your resume that has your school information removed. There is no need to reformat your resume, and you should leave your degree (e.g. “B.A. Economics”). But please remove all undergraduate and graduate school name references. This request is part of our ongoing work to build a hiring system that is free from bias and based on candidate merit and performance in the hiring process.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com. Please do not call regarding this position.