Graphic Designer (Part Time / Contract)
ABOUT US | HR&A is an employee-owned company that advises public, private, non-profit, and civic clients on how to increase opportunity and improve quality of life in cities. We believe in creating vital places, building more equitable and resilient communities. HR&A helps clients turn vision into action by analyzing, strategizing, and implementing solutions to climate change, affordable housing, broadband access, and workforce development.
HR&A has offices in Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Raleigh, and Washington D.C. We are former city officials, non-profit executives, developers, planners, lawyers, architects, and economists from a variety of backgrounds, nationalities, and life experiences.
You can learn more about our work here.
HR&A is proud to be employee-owned, and we are committed to building a diverse workforce while centering issues of equity and inclusion in the work that we do. In 2020, we convened an Anti-Racism Task Force to lead the development of internal equity initiatives and strategies to incorporate equity more effectively into our client work; this work is ongoing.
For more information, visit our website at www.hraadvisors.com.
THE ROLE | HR&A is seeking to hire a Graphic Designer on a part-time/flexible basis (up to 20 hours per week). This fully remote position will support our growing work across critical topics in cities such as broadband and digital equity, affordable housing, and economic development. Our firm delivers a range of products including strategic plans and impact studies, digital dashboards, community engagement platforms, and more. The Graphic Designer will work with the Growth Team, along with leaders and project teams across our organization on a range of projects, from digital to social media to print—including designing proposals, firm marketing materials, project collateral, and client deliverables. Prior experience working in architecture, urban planning, engineering, or consulting environments is helpful but not required.
- Lead design and production for key final client deliverables (e.g., reports and presentations), including developing charts, maps, and other graphic assets, creating layout and format for deliverables, and work with the team to get all content finalized and formatted
- Develop a visually cohesive suite of collateral for the firm to use with external audiences. This includes developing branded templates for Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, Mailchimp newsletters, presentation decks, reports, and other relevant internal and public/client-facing documents
- Design graphic materials for hraadvisors.com including but not limited to profile icons, header images, illustrations, and other graphics across the site
- Design graphic materials for the National Broadband Resource Hub (broadbandhub.org), including but not limited to profile icons, header images, illustrations, and other graphics across the site
- Prioritize refining the brand of the Broadband Equity Partnership, which is powered by HR&A, including a refresh of the Broadband Equity Partnership logo and the development of any other related web, email, social, and printed brand collateral
- Review all design collateral, ensuring everything produced is in alignment with our brand guidelines
- A strong portfolio, with presentable case studies showcasing robust experience with digital and print design, including preparing assets for web, email, social media, and printed matter
- High proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and Figma; experience with Webflow is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, OneDrive); design/formatting acumen within Word and PowerPoint
- A strong understanding of typography, layout, and color theory in different mediums
- An understanding of the importance of consistency in the appearance, actions, and tone of voice of a brand
- Experience with complex, multi-faceted and/or multidisciplinary projects that include varying stakeholders, both outside clients and within an organization
- Strong communication skills with an ability to discuss visual ideas and advocate for your decisions from a brand perspective, while also open to receiving and incorporating design related feedback
- A proactive communication style: ability to take direction from multiple sources and flag questions/risks early
- Experience collaborating with a diverse team and ability to navigate the communication patterns of a distributed team across multiple time zones
- Experience with project management; breaking a large initiative into sub-workstreams and tasks; tracking progress across multiple workstreams; providing regular updates on task status
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to deliver against hard deadlines
COMPENSATION | Competitive hourly rates, $75–100 per hour, commensurate with experience
HOW TO APPLY | HR&A is committed to attracting and retaining a talented, diverse, competitive team of professionals dedicated to solving the challenges of urban life. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document (maximum of 2 pages) at https://hraadvisors.applytojob.com/apply/. Also include a link to your portfolio. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications without a cover letter or link to portfolio will not be reviewed.
We ask that you submit a version of your resume that has your school information removed. There is no need to reformat your resume, and you should leave your degree (e.g. “B.A. Economics”). But please remove all undergraduate and graduate school name references. This request is part of our ongoing work to build a hiring system that is free from bias and based on candidate merit and performance in the hiring process.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com. Please do not call regarding this position.