Director – Broadband & Digital Equity
ABOUT US | HR&A Advisors, Inc. (HR&A) is an industry-leading real estate, economic development, and public policy consulting firm that helps create more equitable, resilient, and dynamic communities. Our work turns vision into action through rigorous analysis, strategy development, and implementation planning. HR&A professionals come from a variety of backgrounds; we are former city officials, lawyers, planners, architects, and economists. We are passionate about increasing the vitality of urban life.
HR&A is proud to be an employee-owned company and is committed to building a diverse workforce while centering issues of equity and inclusion in the work that we do. In 2020, we convened an Anti-Racism Task Force to lead the development of internal equity initiatives and strategies to incorporate equity more effectively into our client work; this work is ongoing.
For more information, visit our website at www.hraadvisors.com.
THE PRACTICE | HR&A’s Broadband and Digital Equity team is focused on empowering communities to shape their broadband future and develop stronger digital equity ecosystems. We recognize that internet infrastructure investments and adoption programs are foundational to more equitable economic development, education, healthcare, and civic life. We work with leaders in all levels of government, civic institutions, community-based organizations, and philanthropy to design and deliver bold system changes that foster broadband equity and digital inclusion. This work is often conducted as part of the Broadband Equity Partnership, a partnership that HR&A has with CTC Technology & Energy.
At an historic moment for broadband and digital equity, with estimates of nearly $200 billion in public and private investment in the next decade, our broadband and digital equity practice is at the forefront of planning, managing, and delivering innovative infrastructure and digital equity programs across the nation, from New York to California, Chicago to Miami. Our work results in the implementation of new public-private partnerships and government- or community-led digital equity programs that prioritize service to communities who need it most. As we build capacity of the nation’s public interest broadband ecosystem, we help our clients center racial equity and economic justice in their broadband initiatives and we design and launch programs that build more equitable and stronger neighborhoods.
- A clear passion for digital equity, economic empowerment, and systems change in government, including in the State of California
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in digital equity programming, advancing broadband technologies, fostering innovative business models, and/or developing broadband programs
- Deep understanding of and experience with government operations in California at the State, regional, and local levels
- Experience advancing projects through local, county, and or state government processes such as procurements, budgeting, governance planning, and public engagement
- Substantial project management experience leading multiple fast-paced, collaborative teams simultaneously that include scoping, structuring, creating, reviewing deliverables, and producing high-quality on-time results
- Five to eight years of experience in 1) government service or the broadband or economic and community development industries, or 2) management consulting or other client-facing professional services
- Familiarity with strategic planning processes, project management tools, and data-driven analytical approaches
- Ability to engage with local leaders, community leaders, and businesses on complex issues
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership, mentorship, critical thinking, and creativity
- Desire to build the Broadband & Digital Equity practice by leading engagements, training staff, and advancing thought leadership
- Strong quantitative and qualitative skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) with a focus on public policy, economics, urban planning, business, or other closely related fields
THE ROLE | To support the rapid growth of our advisory and program management work, HR&A’s Broadband and Digital Equity Team is seeking candidates for a Director, Broadband & Digital Equity role based in our Los Angeles office. The Director will manage broadband and digital equity consulting and program management assignments for State and local governments, primarily in California. The successful candidate will bring a strong foundation of data-driven approaches to closing the digital divide, as well as significant capacity for leadership.
RESPONSIBILITIES | The Director, Broadband & Digital Equity will be primarily responsible for leading our team’s work to advise on, develop, and produce broadband & digital equity project deliverables and programs for state and local government clients, nonprofits, community-based organizations, and philanthropy. Day-to-day tasks will require managing internal and external teams to complete complex assignments including strategic planning, case study research, community engagement, survey data analysis, program evaluation and impact analysis, economic and financial analysis, and public policy analysis. The Director will review and present client deliverables including memos, reports, presentations in PowerPoint, Excel models, and other deliverables for clients, as well as supporting firm marketing materials and proposals for new projects.
COMPENSATION | The starting salary range for this position is $121,668-$138,432, plus year-end bonus. We offer competitive compensation packages, based on qualifications and experience. We are an employee-owned company, meaning you will have the opportunity to benefit from the firm’s growth over time through participation in our Employee Stock Options Plan. Each year, the firm will contribute funds to this long-term wealth-building account and may make contributions to other retirement accounts. We also provide a comprehensive benefits package that goes well beyond coverage of 90-95% of healthcare premiums, dental and vision coverage. For more details, visit https://www.hraadvisors.com/career-opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY | HR&A is committed to attracting and retaining a talented, diverse, competitive team of professionals dedicated to solving the challenges of urban life. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document (maximum of 2 pages) at https://hraadvisors.applytojob.com/apply/. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications without a cover lever will not be reviewed.
We ask that you submit a version of your resume that has your school information removed. There is no need to reformat your resume, and you should leave your degree (e.g. “B.A. Economics”). But please remove all undergraduate and graduate school name references. This request is part of our ongoing work to build a hiring system that is free from bias and based on candidate merit and performance in the hiring process.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status, or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com. Please do not call regarding this position.