Analyst/Senior Analyst – Data Analytics & Mapping
ABOUT US | HR&A Advisors, Inc. (HR&A) is an industry-leading real estate, economic development, and public policy consulting firm that helps create more equitable, resilient, and dynamic communities. Our work turns vision into action through rigorous analysis, strategy development, and implementation planning. HR&A professionals come from a variety of backgrounds; we are former city officials, lawyers, planners, architects, and economists. We are passionate about increasing the vitality of urban life.
HR&A is proud to be an employee-owned company and is committed to building a diverse workforce while centering issues of equity and inclusion in the work that we do. In 2020, we convened an Anti-Racism Task Force to lead the development of internal equity initiatives and strategies to incorporate equity more effectively into our client work; this work is ongoing.
For more information, visit our website at www.hraadvisors.com.
The Broadband and Digital Equity Team at HR&A is focused on empowering communities to shape their broadband future and develop stronger digital equity ecosystems. We recognize that internet infrastructure investments and adoption programs are foundational to more equitable economic development, education, healthcare, and civic life. We work with leaders in all levels of government, civic institutions, community-based organizations, and philanthropy to design and deliver bold system changes that foster broadband equity and digital inclusion. This work is often conducted as part of the Broadband Equity Partnership (www.broadbandequity.org), a partnership that HR&A has with CTC Technology and Energy.
THE ROLE | To support the rapid growth of our advisory and program management work, we are seeking candidates for an Analyst or Senior Analyst – Data Analytics & Mapping role based in our New York, Los Angeles, or Washington, DC office, with flexibility for remote work. Our analytical staff form the foundation of our team-oriented and collaborative structure and help to drive our data-driven approach to closing the digital divide. Analysts are early-career professionals with 3-5 years of professional experience who support and drive all aspects of our client engagements; Senior Analysts are mid-level professionals with 5-8 years of professional experience who own the substance of our client work products. As an Analyst / Senior Analyst focused on Data Analytics & Mapping, you will have the opportunity to have high impact across numerous communities and build the capacities of the digital equity ecosystem nationally, as well as to continually build your skills in complex data analytics, visualization, and web development.
RESPONSIBILITIES | The Data Analytics & Mapping Analyst/Senior Analyst will be primarily responsible for conducting complex data and geospatial analysis to assess broadband availability, affordability, and adoption metrics in targeted localities; integrating and improving local, government, and proprietary datasets; developing compelling data visualizations to tell narratives to government, nonprofits, and the public about issues related to broadband equity or digital equity ecosystems; and measuring and analyzing data and key indicators to evaluate the economic and social impacts of broadband investments.
Day-to-day tasks range from procuring, managing, developing, and analyzing large datasets; developing interactive data visualizations; supporting project teams in the development of custom, project-based analytics; developing new data systems and tools to improve our consulting work; and developing and managing new, self-directed projects that advance our mission and our clients’ goals.
QUALIFICATIONS | Successful candidates will have:
- A passion for equitable development and systems change, ideally in terms of digital equity, economic empowerment, or civic engagement
- Proficiency with ArcGIS/QGIS required; experience conducting geospatial, vicinity/buffer, site suitability, socio-economic, and demographic analysis using GIS preferred
- Experience developing clear and captivating data visualizations for a variety of audiences
- Experience with survey and questionnaire design and analysis
- Proficiency with cleaning, manipulating, and merging public, proprietary, and internal data sets for analysis
- Proficiency with Python/R/STATA/SQL/MATLAB/IMPLAN preferred
- Experience with census data, PUMS data, FCC 477 data, and public infrastructure asset classes preferred
- Three to five years of relevant professional experience (for Analysts; five to eight years of experience for Senior Analysts)
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) with a focus on data science/analytics, geographic information science/analytics, urban planning/design/data, regional science/analytics, architecture, economics, business, public policy, real estate, or other related fields
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership, critical thinking, and creativity
- Experience working on and managing fast-paced, collaborative teams and projects, including scoping, structuring, creating, and reviewing deliverables
- Ability to work across assignments, including managing multiple project workstreams and deadlines
- Familiarity with strategic planning processes, project management tools, and data-driven analytical approaches
- Desire to help build the Broadband & Digital Equity team’s consulting and program management practice by leading engagements, training staff, and advancing thought leadership
COMPENSATION | The starting salary for this position is $77,300 – $110,000, plus year-end bonus, depending on qualifications and experience. We are an employee-owned company, meaning you will have the opportunity to benefit from the firm’s growth over time through participation in our Employee Stock Options Plan. Each year, the firm will contribute funds to this long-term wealth-building account and may make contributions to other retirement accounts. We also provide a comprehensive benefits package that goes well beyond coverage of 90-95% of healthcare premiums, dental and vision coverage. For more details, visit https://www.hraadvisors.com/career-opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY | HR&A is committed to attracting and retaining a talented, diverse, competitive team of professionals dedicated to solving the challenges of urban life. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter here.
We ask that you submit a version of your resume that has your school information removed. There is no need to reformat your resume, and you should leave your degree (e.g. “B.A. Economics”). But please remove all undergraduate and graduate school name references. This request is part of our ongoing work to build a hiring system that is free from bias and based on candidate merit and performance in the hiring process.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status, or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com. Please do not call regarding this position.