HR&A works with government, not-for profit, and utility clients to design meaningful public policies and programs that address private risks and advance sustainability objectives.
HR&A’s interest in energy efficiency emerges from a history of working on the complex challenges of economic growth and real estate development in urban environments.
Building on more than 30 years of real estate, economic revitalization and public policy service to a diversity of clients, we distinguish ourselves from others in the energy efficiency field through a clear understanding of the economics of sustainability. In the past decade, the firm has emerged as an innovative leader in both economic feasibility assessment and management of large-scale energy efficiency initiatives for existing buildings.
HR&A helps clients diagnose market failures and prescribes responses that increase energy efficiency retrofit activity in the marketplace.
- Evaluate real estate markets to understand existing practices and opportunities and barriers to implementing energy efficiency retrofits;
- Develop a detailed understanding of the effectiveness of past, existing and planned programs;
- Craft policies, programs and strategies that utilize public resources to address market failures and help deliver technical assistance, incentives, financing and credit enhancement to the marketplace to advance new energy retrofit projects;
- Create innovative approaches to behavioral modification that result in real energy savings;
- Develop building diagnostic tools that identify and evaluate energy savings opportunities;
- Design outreach strategies and marketing materials that generate demand for program participation within the residential and commercial sectors.
- HR&A’s work designing and implementing the New York Energy $martSM Assisted Multifamily Program (AMP) on behalf of the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) was recognized by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy in 2005 as an exemplary low-income energy efficiency program.