HR&A has four decades of experience developing visionary solutions to revitalize downtowns, neighborhoods, districts, cities and regions into job-producing, community-strengthening assets.
We work with our public sector clients and engage public, private and institutional stakeholders to produce a long-term vision for economic development. We create strategies for growth with concrete, measurable economic, physical, and job creation goals.
HR&A supports recommendations with in-depth quantitative economic analysis.
We understand that many complex elements affect economic development, whether at the scale of a site or a region. Our analytics, studies and implementation plans provide an objective fact base from which to make decisions.
We develop an economic framework to inform strategic decisions.
We examine, separately and together, all components of economic development including repositioning and redeveloping transportation infrastructure, hubs, and corridors, as well as historic buildings, public open space, military bases, and disused industrial centers; shifting public policy; and supporting catalytic development projects. We quantify the potential benefits — one time and recurring — of proposed real estate development, infrastructure and public policy changes, which helps lead to successful implementation.
HR&A creates vibrant retail corridors to serve as magnets for activation to support new development.
Solid retail development and revitalization strategies are grounded in the market and economic realities of consumers, tenants, and developers. We develop tenanting plans, identify cultural uses, and integrate open space opportunities to brand districts and create a sense of place. Additionally, we communicate these benefits benefits through marketing and outreach to assist implementation.
HR&A strengthens the capacity of quasi-public and not-for-profit organizations to steward economic development from inception to implementation.
Realizing a vision for economic development for a neighborhood, district, downtown or region often requires a long-term commitment from an organization charged with executing priority initiatives. We produce implementation plans that help our clients create new governance entities, forge new partnerships, and focus the responsibilities of existing organizations in support of economic development.
- Arlington County Energy Plan Development
- Assessing the Economic Impacts of Film Production Tax Credits
- Center City Strategic Framework
- Climate Resiliency in the Sandy Impacted Region
- Economic Assessment of the Dallas Park System
- Economic Impacts of Airbnb
- LAX Economic Impact Study
- Los Angeles Homeless Housing Program
- Los Angeles Economic Development Strategy
- New York Ctiy Tech Ecosystem Study
- PlaNYC and OneNYC
- Single Sales Factor Tax Analysis
- Strategic Plan to Reposition the Brooklyn Tech Triangle
- Times Square Economic Impact Analysis & Retail Strategy
- Affordable Housing Strategy
- Economic and Fiscal Impact Analysis
- Economic Revitalization & Community Planning
- Market and Financial Feasibility Analysis
- Parks and Open Space Strategy
- Planning for Resilience and Sustainability
- Public Policy Analysis
- Public-Private Development
- Transit-Oriented Development
- Retail Planning
- American Society of Landscape Architects, Award of Excellence in Analysis and Planning, Penn’s Landing Redevelopment Feasibility Study, Pennsylvania, PA, 2015
- American Planning Association, National Planning Achievement Award in Environmental Planning, Arlington County’s Community Energy Plan, Arlington, VA, 2014
- American Road & Transportation Builders Association, Globe Award, First Place in Public Transit, New York Rising Community Construction Program, NY, 2014
- American Planning Association New York, Meritorious Achievement Award, Brooklyn Tech Triangle Strategic Plan, Brooklyn, NY, 2013
- PowerGrid International Magazine Best Energy Efficiency and Demand Response Project Award, Duke Energy’s Smart Energy Now Program Design and Management, Charlotte, NC, 2012
- International Economic Development Council Neighbourhood Development Prize, High Line Park Transformation, New York, NY, 2010
- International Economic Development Council Partnership Award, Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation Creation, Cincinnati, OH, 2009
- Urban Land Institute Award for Excellence, Daniel Island Redevelopment, Charleston, SC, 2007
- American Institute of Architects Honor Award for Regional and Urban Design, Anacostia Waterfront Initiative Framework Plan, Washington D.C., 2005